Mediate Claims Against Homeowner Associations

   I received an email a few weeks ago from a homeowner who wanted to file suit against his homeowner association. I suggested that he might want to review the CC&Rs which may require an alternate method of dispute resolution, and which usually contain an attorney fee and cost provision. I also advised him of Civil Code section 1354 which provides that in any action to enforce the governing documents of a common interest development — the pevailing party shall be awarded reasonable attorney’s fees and costs. Continue reading